UK Steering Committee/Feb 23-2016

From CASRAI

Agenda

Time: 1500hr - 1600hr

Location: Via teleconference

Call-in: 0121 368 0009 Access code: 264 9100#

  1. Business arising - David
  2. Updates from Secretariat - David
  3. Updates from SC on recruitment/promotion - All
  4. Update on dates for RCUK Interop meeting - Anna
  5. Proposed flat rate for all institutions for start-up year - Valerie
  6. 2016 Planning - David
  7. Other business

Supporting Materials

  • as background to agenda item 4 one of the larger universities can make an easier case to join now if the annual fee was lower in first year. A proposal (accepted by CASRAI) has been made for the large-size universities to join at same rate as medium-size universities - just for year one as they make the case for the value of the chapter.
  • as background to agenda item 5 [from an email from David on Feb 8]

Proposed 2016 goals (achievements by Dec 2016):

  1. at least 1 new UK-led standard (solving a priority CRIS/Repository issue of universities)
  2. high level of awareness at UK universities of the mission/benefits/outputs of the UK chapter (and applicable international work)
  3. an increase in the number of universities in the chapter (from the start-up baseline)
  4. RCUK and HEFCE partners effectively engaged with (a) Steering Committee and (b) Working Group levels
  5. Solutions Providers engaged and expressing their adoption expectations/plans

Subject to any SC revisions to the above goals I suggest the following near-term tasks to get to an approved 2016 workplan:

  • Secretariat schedules monthly SC calls (60 minutes) - with a first focus on 2016 planning
  • Secretariat schedules a 'kick-off' chapter virtual meeting for March (as promised in the webinar)
  • Secretariat finalizes membership administration tasks with universities
  • SC surveys (a) chapter members and (b) wider UK university community on priority issues
  • SC compiles responses and decides on a priority issue for a standards Working Group

Minutes

Attending: Valerie, Simon, Helen, Catherine (and Chris Brown from Jisc)

Regrets: Anna

Business arising

  • getting monthly calls set-up - done
  • securing enough new members to proceed - done
  • draft minutes from last meeting went missing - we are looking into this

Updates from Secretariat

  • setting up admin aspects of the new chapter
  • some communications improvements coming in March: website, group tools/spaces, newsletters

Updates from SC on recruitment/promotion

  • Valerie has a paper coming out re OA in early March - the SC members will be listed as co-authors
  • Simon is doing a webinar in the coming weeks for STM
  • both the above outputs should be posted on the chapter website (to be determined where soon)
  • need a common hashtag for chapter-related tweets - Action: David to propose

Update on dates for RCUK Interop meeting

  • confirmed that we will drop the idea of co-locating with another event as key schedules are in conflict. Rather, will use a Doodle poll to UK universities to find a date for the first in-person meeting. Action: CASRAI Secretariat will first poll SC members before polling the wider community.
  • also agreed to keep an open door invite (not just agreed members); while this should be short-term so as not to undermine the benefits to those who have joined it was agreed that during this start-up phase it was wise.

Proposed flat rate for all institutions for start-up year

  • no objection to the first-year proposal - Action: David contact Cambridge; Valerie continue with UCL

2016 Planning

Proposed 2016 Goals amended as follows:

  1. at least 1 new UK-led standard (solving a priority CRIS/Repository issue of universities) added to the dictionary and with adoption plans discussed
  2. high level of awareness at UK universities of the mission/benefits/outputs of the UK chapter (and applicable international work) using a short annual questionnaire by SC
  3. an increase in the number of universities in the chapter (from the start-up baseline)
  4. Research-funding partners in the UK effectively engaged at (a) Steering Committee and (b) Working Group levels
  5. Solutions Providers active in the UK appropriately engaged at (a) Steering Committee and (b) Working Group levels (incl adoption plans)

The proposed task-list was revised (but more revisions to come after planning for the approved goals):

  • Secretariat schedules monthly SC calls (60 minutes) - with a first focus on 2016 planning DONE
  • Secretariat schedules a 'kick-off' chapter virtual meeting for March (as promised in the webinar) - open to all UK universities
  • Secretariat finalizes membership administration tasks with universities
  • SC surveys (a) chapter members and (b) wider UK university community on priority issues (as well as on awareness of the CASRAI mission)
  • SC compiles responses and identifies a 'short-list' of standards options for subsequent decision for a Working Group

Other Business:

  • it was agreed to keep a 'watching brief' on any discussions/developments on any 'FDP-like' model in the UK to ensure CASRAI-UK can engage in the most appropriate manner

Actions

David to:

  • propose a common hashtag for CASRAI-UK (to be adopted also for Canada and future chapters)
  • gather SC date conflicts for May/June then issue a poll to SC members for the in-person meeting; before issuing a full poll to the wider community for this meeting
  • contact Cambridge about the first year discounting on fees for larger universities
  • prepare 2016 plan with tasks and milestones for next SC call

Valerie to:

  • continue discussions with UCL