Sustainable Spin Offs Snowball Metrics Agreement v1
This standard information agreement specifies the information elements needed to calculate and communicate the number of sustainable spin-offs.
It answers the question of how many companies that are high quality, and therefore sustainable, an institution has delivered. A spin-off is a company that has been set up to exploit intellectual property that originated from within the institution. It may be:
- A spin-off with some institutional ownership.
- A formal spin-off that is not owned by the institution.
- Staff start-up that has been set up by current institutional staff, or those who were a staff member within the last 2 years, but that are not based on intellectual property from the institution.
- Graduate start-up that has been set up by graduates who are currently members of the institution, or were a member within the last 2 years, regardless of where any intellectual property resides, when there has been formal business support from the institution.
- Undergraduate start up, when there has been formal business support from the institution.
Sustainable spin-offs are active companies that have survived for at least 3 years.
The original input reference to this standard information agreement is the Snowball Metrics Recipe Book, page 107.
See input reference.
The following specifies the expected contents of a data report compliant with this standard information agreement.
The following table outlines the agreed information elements need to produce a standard report on Sustainable Spin Offs at the institution. For each record of a spin off the following elements are included.
|Spin Off Comany||http://dictionary.casrai.org/Spin_Off_Company|
|Spin Off Company/Number of Employees||http://dictionary.casrai.org/Spin_Off_Company/Number_of_Employees||Number||Must|
|Spin Off Company/Date Established||http://dictionary.casrai.org/Spin_Off_Company/Date_Established||Date||Must|
|Institution||An organization with a primary role of performing research.|
|Institution/ID Type||The nominal type of unique ID used for a research-performing organization.||List (Org ID Types)||Should|
|Institution/Other ID Type||A keyword for a type of organization identifier not covered in a standard classification.||Text||Should|
|Institution/ID||The unique identifier of a research-performing organization.||Text||Should|
|Institution/Name||The full name of a research-performing organization.||Text||Must|
|Institution/Country||The country of a research-performing organization.||List (Countries)||Must|
|Institution/Financial Year End Month||The month marking the end of the financial year of a research-performing organization.||List (Months)||Must|
|Institution/FTE Count||Number of Full Time Equivalents at the Institution in the referenced financial year.||Number||Must|
The following agreed vocabularies (or Lists) are used in the above information elements.
|Org ID Types|
|Months||Months of the year expressed numerically.|
|01 to 12|
A formal CASRAI XSD schema for this standard information agreement is available here.